Al Arabia Electro Mechanical L.L.C. – Member of Juma Al Majid Holding Group L.L.C. winner of the Real Estate and Construction category at IBX Awards in Dubai
In light of recently held International Business Excellence Awards in Dubai, Souraj Salah, Business Process Improvement Manager at Juma Al Majid Group agreed to share his impressions exclusively with the readers of CXM World.
What the most readers will find interesting is the fact that Mr. Salah participated at the Awards both as a winner and a judge. Therefore, his experience has an added value for anyone interested in business awards and best practice related content.
– It was a moment filled with relief and joy when the award ceremony host announced our company Al Arabia as the winner in the Real Estate and Construction category at Dubai IBX Awards. Being accompanied by two members of the top management team (Dr. Saleh Chehade, Chief Contracting Officer and Mr. Nafiz Al Hassan, Business Unit Director) was definitely adding to the excitement and tension as the host reached our category and was about to announce the winner. I felt like scoring the winning goal for my team, Mr. Salah started his story.
– The competition was tough and the teams from other companies did present excellent files filled with best practices that gave me personally a lot of food for thought. The level of professionalism made it even harder to predict the winner and kept the anticipations open for all possibilities. In my opinion, most teams deserved recognition and I applaud their excellence, he continued.
Mr. Salah also reminisced the last year winning with his team from Al Arabia Elevators and Moving Systems lead by Mr. Sofian Ghanayim and the moment when HH Shaikh Mansour Bin Muhammad Al Maktoum presented them with the IBX Award trophy.
– The award is a great opportunity to celebrate the wonderful efforts our teams with Juma AL Majid are exerting to improve the business operations. What a way to motivate our teams to engage in the journey towards excellence and to celebrate our success!
– The third International Business Excellence (IBX) Awards added to my experience in two ways. Being a shortlisted nominee for the Award in the real estate and construction category and also being a judge in the Manufacturing category as well as the management team category. As a judge, I was impressed with the level of maturity in some of the businesses here in the UAE which compete globally and indeed set the bar high for excellence and quality. Various best practices were shared. I was particularly impressed with the visual management systems implemented in some companies which allowed all employees to have transparency and visibility of work progress at all times. It also allowed for alignment towards one goal and individual worker on the shop floor to be visible and accordingly awarded. In addition, local business presented strong cases for innovative products that solve customer challenges and add tremendous value to societies.
The Awards weren’t without a challenge
According to Souraj, the level of competition made it difficult to choose the winners. The challenge facing the judges was to validate all nominations carefully and score them fairly. He underlined the fact that one of the judges (Mr. Anas Al Marie) did a great job in searching the social websites for customer feedback and raised some interesting questions to gauge the response of the participants. He said that the overall experience was very informative and beneficial.
The Importance of good organization
Mr. Salah told us that he and his team were all very pleased with how the organizers handled the event, emphasizing the great effort of Mark Hamill, Managing Director of Awards International in Dubai. He and his team did an amazing job making the event a success. What he also found to be important is the way Mr. Hamill was determined to encourage all judges to provide feedback in the form of suggestions and ideas for improvement in the future.
– I also had the chance to meet with other judges who shared the same passion for excellence and made a few more friends in a very warm atmosphere. At the end of the event, Dr. Saleh told me: “Next year, I’d like for Taha Yasin’s Division of Al Arabia for Operations and Maintenance to compete for the award”. I look forward to it.
– Finally, I am very proud of Al Arabia Electro Mechanical’s achievement this year. I’d like to thank our leadership team, Mr. Mumtaz Hussein (Quality and HSE Manager of Al Arabia), all our project managers, engineers, and the whole team for making this achievement possible, he added.
Dr. Souraj Salah is currently a full-time Business Process Improvement Manager at Juma Al Majid, in the contracting, services and manufacturing sectors. He earned his Ph.D. from the University of New Brunswick in Canada. He has published more than 14 papers in various international journals and has over 17 years of experience as a professional industrial engineer. He is also certified as a Lean Leader and Six Sigma Master Black Belt in Canada, and as ISO9001, OHSAS18001 & ISO 14001 Lead Auditor in UAE.